Thursday 28 May 2015

More memories from the allotments

Thanks very much to Andrew for his memories below, I too when I was a bit older could always think of other places I'd rather be but eventually in later life taking over my Dad's garden, I loved it.



Growing up we were very lucky to have a property on Russell Drive which backed onto the allotments. I spent many weekends and school holidays on the allotments with my dad, sisters and great uncle Fred. I would be given jobs to do to help with growing various fruit and vegetables. I particularly enjoyed having bonfires and drinking tea from a flask (best cup of tea ever).

I remember at times, like children do, that I felt I'd rather be somewhere else but now I remember my time there fondly. I think it gave a good sense of independence and on the allotments you felt far away from suburban life.  I moved to Manchester for university and work and now rent an allotment with friends. I think my time spent on the allotments has set me up well and I hope that enough allotments will remain there in the future to allow others in Wollaton to get the opportunity to grow produce. It is a real luxury and the hard work really pays off. 
 
Thanks very much Andrew hope your current allotment is successful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment